Happy Valentines Day to you all Folks. Today, i would like to bring to attention to the reader regarding Perceptive distortion when using wide angle lens when shooting architecture. I for many reasons like being lazy and for some aesthetically reasons i never bothered about it until one of my reader brought to my attention regarding my pictures. True, is it not after not i cannot afford also an expensive tilt & shift lens to correct the perspective distortion while shooting ? Luckily there is a great little software Plugin called PTLens that can handle almost every type of complex distortion correction you’ll ever run into and i am just loving it. You can see below how the picture looked before it went to the PTLens Software.
The PTLens plug-in reads the EXIF data from the image i loaded and automatically corrects the barrel and pincushion distortion caused by my specific lens. To see the effect of this, you can uncheck and recheck the Preview checkbox. To correct Perspective distortion you’ll need to show the Grid and then adjust the Vertical and Horizontal controls until the vertical lines in the image are truly vertical. I played around with the settings for a while until i achieve the desired resultsThe next step is to crop the image to remove the black areas cause by the perspective correction as shown here. As I said earlier in this post, it’s very important to crop your image AFTER using PTLens to correct the distortion.
How the photos were shot
- Taken on Tripod
- Five exposures
- Camera: Nikon D800
- Lens: Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
How the HDR image was tonemapped
- Processed the images as Raw File in Photomatix
- Saved the resulting image as 32 bit Floating TIFF
How the tonemapped image was post-processed
- The Resulting tone-mapped Tiff Image was then opened in Lightroom
- Changed the following settings-Contrast, Highlights, Shadows, Blacks, Whites
- Resulting File then opened in Photoshop
- Nik Color Efex on the blue celing
- Topaz Adjust on the chandliers
- Topaz Denoise
- Perceptive Distortion Correction
Do you like my blog?
If you enjoy reading this blog, please help spread the word by sharing this site with your friends using any of the below buttons.
Latest posts by Vineet Suthan (see all)
- Moscow International Foto Awards 2014 - October 21, 2014
- Helen + William| CHRIST CHURCH JEBEL ALI WEDDING - October 21, 2014
- 5 days only to save 95% on 70+ hours of photography tutorials and more! - October 16, 2014